Sunday, April 15, 2012

WHAT WAS I THINKING OF?????

Robert Home Safe After Surgery

What was the old geezer thinking when he thought the surgery was going to be a 'piece of cake'?  Truth be told it was anything but.  Mind, it was not as if the good doctor who performed the surgery lied to, or that the old geezer did not read up on the subject.  More a case of selective hearing and believing that it would be no big deal.  Bloody hell, as I ever wrong.


Protective Cup Filling With Blood
It was not until after the surgery that I bothered to find a filmed bit of the procedure that was done on my left ear.  Seems if you know what to look for, filmed bits can be found on.

Too right it is that had I seem the filmed bit before the surgery, might well have backed out of the whole business.  Truth be told, Dr. Killeen, spiting image of Pope Pius X11, had me convinced I was in very capable hands and all would be right in my world when he was done with the ear.  Mind, he might not have put it exactly that way but it was what I wanted to hear.

I knew the risks and what best might be got in way of hearing from the surgery.  There were a few things I wished had been explained a little better to prepare me for the 'after'...


Robert's Ear Post Surgery with Packing
 It might have been nice if the chap who put me under had been more gentle with the tube down me throat.  Days after the surgery and me throat feels like it was used in a gang rape.  Sore and the bloody tube exacerbated me acid reflux.

When they sent me home on Thursday, if hospital had warned me that the blood flow would be considerable.  Getting home and finding the protective cup filling with blood was not pleasant to deal with.  Nor were the 4 times required to change the dressings and clean up the blood all over self.  Not to mention having to run out for dressing materials in short supply.  Mind, when hospital was rung up, the doctor told Paul that the blood was 'normal' and the old geezer would not 'bleed to death'...

After watching the filmed bit of a like operation, I now know just how brutal the whole ear peeling back and digging in the ear can be.  First two days after surgery, my ear felt as if a football match had been played in the ear, with the loud ringing causing me to shout to hear me voice. Now the face and ear feels like a constant throb, like the pounding of the tom-tom.

I wish I had been warned that my sense of taste might be affected by the surgery.  Nasty little side affect that did not know about until it happened.  Seemed this happens in some cases, and can last for a spell.  Has put me right off me groceries it has.  Everything has very odd taste.


Back of Ear Scar From Surgery
 Last three night have not been easy to get through.  The ear is very tender and am very afraid to lay on it or in any way jar it. Would have liked to have kept the protective cup but the good doctor took it away on Friday.  The pain from the operation has been considerable.  It was my choice to NOT take the pain medicine provided by the good doctor.  I wanted to be clear headed and know what was going on round even if I could not hear well.  Besides, pain medicine comes with nasty side effects.  There is the 'fog' and the binding up, that can cause passing poo to feel as if a brick is caught in a very dry pipe.  Last thing this old geezer needs is to have blood coming from me arse from the strain of passing building blocks...



What Doctor Might Have Seen Inside Robert's Ear

Paul tells me that the good doctor told him that he hoovered out massive amount of wicked fluid, cut away damaged bones and ear parts, made the ear canal larger and has no doubt that all of the infection has been done away with.  With the way me ear feels,I have no doubt that the good doctor has that quite right.

My face was quite swollen last night and there is still on-going leakage from the ear when there is still a dressing packed into the ear.  The ear itself feel numb but that is fading.  Each day gets a little better.  It will be nice to get a good night's rest and rather think that may well come tonight.  Am wore out from the whole experience.

Truth be told, it was not a 'piece of cake', in the end it would be something I would have rather missed.  In the end, my feeling is that what was wished for most has been granted.  No one wants to go deaf, but there is not much chance that that has changed.  I might pick up some hearing in the weeks to come as the ear heals and the damaged that has been done has been abated.  The nerve and bone loss is gone forever.   Dr. Killeen did me good, I have to take what he did at face value and not try to make him have god-like powers.

There you be, more information than some might want and not enough for the true ghouls amoung the readers...

1 comment:

  1. Likes the college wrestling look.
    Invasive surgery is never a pretty thing.
    Things will get better as the cauliflower ear goes away.

    ReplyDelete