Monday, April 9, 2012

'Auld Lang Syne' - NZ MAORI GROUP 2011


'Don't be dismayed by good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.'

How quickly 8 days of a stay go by.  Hardly seems possible that today will see the departure of the group from New Zealand that has been at the hostel.  Time for a re-cap of the visit.

192 hours, 448 meals, 896 showers, 217 nappies changes, piles and piles of rubbish, hundreds of bottles of water consumed.  Hundreds of stories told and thousands of smiles shared.

It would be impossible to remember all of the lovely folks names, but this old geezer will try.

There would be Nate, the group leader, who always tried to keep all things sorted out.  Man of the hour he was and performed brilliantly to keep his band of followers well informed and provided for.  I do so admire a chap who can 'promote' and Nate gave the old geezer a brilliant t-shirt, very colourful, so much so that one will be able to see the old geezer from afar...

Nick, the very serious leader, who tried to juggle changing nappies with all of the other things he was responsible for.

Bernie, who informed that he was 'in charge' of kitchen, and had many helpful hands to make his task easy.  Bernie and this old geezer would have a 'ciggie' on the pavement.  Being almost as cheeky as the old bugger, Bernie commented on the lovely t-shirt give to by Nate.  He was watching the road, early one morn, and saw MOI coming toward in the distance.  Mind, he did not know it was the old geezer, just thought it odd that someone would be upon the road so early, the t-shirt is quite colourful and he did not know the shape coming...

There was Kelly, Charlie, Caroline, Dawn, Mark, Tom, John, Peter Sr. and Peter Jr., Roger.

Then there was Mike, the very military chap, who was much commented on in emails on his very dignified bearing at the Anzac Day Tribute.  Turns out he is a serving member of the military, Warrant Officer he be.

Who can forget Bill, the cheeky bugger who always had a huge smile to greet with each day.  Bill was in kitchen loads, getting breakfast prepared.  Makes a smart plate of eggs and stewed tomatoes.  Bill made sure a lovely polo shirt came me way, as well as a brilliant calendar.  Gave me the shirt off his back he did.

One marvelled at the perfect porridge that came out of kitchen each morn.

There were 14 children, well mannered for the most part.

Who will ever forget the sight of so many packages coming back to hostel in the arms of the group.  Seems that 'lolly' goes so much farther here than back in New Zealand.  One wonders if the weight will be too much for return.

So lovely have the folks from New Zealand been that Justin I, our very own 'Hilo Hattie' and MOI went all out to help.  Glenda made appointments to beauty parlor, found shoppes for, booked taxis, what ever she could to give ALOHA.  Justin I went to local market and brought back loads of local fruits for the Maori to sample, gave tips on the local places to visit. This old geezer even parted with a part of English Tea treasure.

Collectively, this old geezer is much taken with the group.  Truth be told, there were favourites...

I rather think that it will be long remembered, the personalities of Mike, Peter Sr. and Jr., Bill and Dawn, Tom, John, Charlie, Nate and Nick.  Bernie for sure...

This old geezer is much touched by all of the lovely kindness shown by to by ALL of Te Tu Mataora.

One of me most favoured poems is an English one, Invictus;

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

My experience of sharing with members of Te Tu Mataora, brought the poem to mind.  I have had the rare privilege to get to better understand a people that  never allowed themselves to be lost in the shuffle of life.  A proud and very spiritual people. A humble people.  The whole point of living is to reach out and touch one another.  So this old geezer believes.  I have been much touched by all of the lovely folk from New Zealand.

Gentlemen in England will feel selves cursed and hold manhood cheap, that they were not here these past 8 days.  We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, will long remember these times.  I have no doubt.  Each evening, from May to May, before I drift to sleep upon me cot, I shall think back on all of the tales remembered of these past 8 glorious days and I will smile broadly...

No comments:

Post a Comment