Thursday, April 26, 2012

I LIKE HIM - THE BROTHER I NEVER HAD

Scott Owens -  The Brother I never had!

I like him, I really like him.
Tear out my fingernails one by one, I like him!
I don't have a very good reason,
Since I've been with him,
Cuckoo-nuts have been in season...
But there's nothing I can do,
Chop me up for onion stew,
Still I'll yell to the sky
Though I can't tell you why,
That I like him!

 I like him, I really like him.
Pluck me naked as a scalded chicken,
I like him!
Don't ask me for why or wherefore,
'Cause I don't have a single good
"Because" or "therefore!"
You can barbecue my nose.
Make a giblet of my toes,
Make me freeze, make me fry.
Make me sigh, make me cry.
Still I'll yell to the sky,
Though I can't tell you why.
That I like him

Looking back at my first meet with Scott, the old geezer remembers vividly thinking 'there is a story there' when he shook hand and welcomed MOI into the bosom of the Hilo Bay Hostel, of which he was The Big Kahuna.  Little did MOI realize that 'the story' would a 'neverending' one.

Allow MOI to set the stage.

Me flatmate had meet a tragic end and life had taken a very bad turn.  Always feeling at peace in Hawaii, and in desperate need of a bolt hole to repair me soul, saw me seek refuge at the hostel.  It was a very low point in life.

Scott took the old geezer in hand, and sensing that what was needed was more than 'tea and sympathy, he offered for MOI to do chores round the hostel. created a need for the old geezer to feel he belonged and had value.

The hostel is right busy place and the one spot in need of TLC were the loos.  MOI was going to make them sparkle.  Scott told he did not want the old geezer to kill self, and showed where the mop was to be had.  The old geezer told Scott that he had a very Catholic attitude about how a floor should be cleaned, on hands in knees.  Not  one to miss an opportunity to throw out a good line, Scott, replied; "Be as Catholic as you want".

When the showers and loos, there are 4, were done, the old geezer knew that it was a good start and in time, the loos would be 5 star.

Scott treated to luncheon that day, a lovely meal, took the time to draw out the old geezer.  He really wanted to hear me story.  That was the beginning of many such luncheons shared,and suppers.  Always with a good chin wag.  Talking story was not one sided, Scott told his share of stories.

Christmas was soon to arrive in Hawaii and Scott asked if  MOI would like to do the baking for the Christmas EVE table for the guests.  WOULD I?  Just call MOI, Betty Crocker.

The day was spent baking ginger bread, brownies, shortbread and lemon wedges.  Bet you never knew the old geezer could find way round a kitchen.  The hostel was filled with the smells of all of the lovely treats to be had later.

Knowing that the old geezer had no place to be on Christmas Eve, Scott invited the old geezer to join in the family gathering planned with his two sisters.  It was grand.  Even got a small gift.

When time permitted, Scott would invite to join on a trip to one of his favourite places on the island of Hawaii.  One such place was a very lovely spot where one could have a luncheon and view the ocean and chat.

We sat under an umbrella, the weather had changed and it was raining frogs round.  It matter not.  We ate and Scott told of his past .  Scott is something of a medical miracle.  Has beat back cancer so many times that has had Velcro placed IN bod to make it easier to get to organs.  19  his number  of years allowed,  He is considerably older today.

Scott told of being a part of a study.  Went for long period and was told the study was complete.  Doctor told that everyone had died.  Scott's eyes filled with tears as he remembered.  The old geezer knew that Scott was special that day.

As the old geezer sits here banging away, so many memories come flooding back.  The old geezer could dine out for years on the stories.  There are some standouts.

Like the trip to  the Cacao farm.  Or, the one looking for bargains at a garage sale.  Invite to see a 'gladiator' film.  New Year's Eve.  Creating me own 'Tea & Tidy' badge.

When MOI thinks of Scott, and the old geezer does very oft, it is the smile, the laugh, the wickedly delicious humour of.  The kindness and concern.  Not feigned but so very real.

The lovely gentlemen of the orchestra are ready with some music.


Most are 'au fait' that MOI has a thing for Broadway.  Scott was gobsmacked at how massive and suffered many a session listening to very loud show tunes coming from me suite, in Middle Earth, where Scott and the old geezer shared a common wall.  Being deaf made the sound level very loud.

When I fell and could not walk, it was Scott who took the old geezer to doctor appointments.  When me right ear exploded, it was Scott who drove MOI to hospital.  Scott who got meds for, fetched meals, checked on.  With nary a complaint.

When the old geezer could not handle medical troubles, and took a powder, it was Scott who called the coppers to find MOI, who tried to make sure that the old geezer was safe.

Too well do I know now brotherly love is.

The Hallmark of a great relationship, is not what you give or get out of, rather that rare privilege of listening to the beating of a heart.

I suddenly realized that ... this man... this man...
No one every made me feel like someone
'Til him
Life was really nothing but a glum one
'Til him
My existence bordered on the tragic
Always timid, never took a chance
Then I felt his magic
And my heart began to dance
I was always frightened, fraught with worry...
'Til him
I was going nowhere in a hurry
'Til him
He filled up my empty life
Filled it to the brim
There could never ever be
Another one...like him

Dear reader, pray allow MOI to stop here.  However public the old geeer is from time to time, somethings are best left 'private'.  An ocean seperate Scott and himself, safe enough to not have Scott throttle due to this post. 

2 comments:

  1. If it be true that the old geezer is at best when personal, this post is most personal. So personal that much editing has been done. Many of the things that could be told will be kept in that folder marked 'most private' and never shared.
    There will be some who drop in and connect the dots all wrong, that is the way of it, is it not?
    MOI knows what MOI means and that is good enough for MOI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful sharing Robert! I found my mind wandering back to the wonderful week Alicia and I spent at the Hostel with Scott and crew - and you are right on with how great a person Scott is. Got me thinking of fresh food, snorkling, and sharing some good Hawaiian craic :-) Thanks for sharing my friend!!

      Delete