Tuesday, May 17, 2011

WAIKIKI REMEMBERED


They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I
have seen your painted women under the gas lamps
luring the farm boys, sailors and marines.
And they tell me you are dear and I answer: Yes, it
is true I have seen the prices in your ABC stores kill and 
kill again me desire for a ciggie or snack.
And they tell me you are dirty and my reply is: On the
faces of some denizens of, I have seen the signs
of wanton filth.
And having answered so I turn once more to those who
sneer at this my Waikiki, and I give them back the sneer
and say to them:
Come and show me another place with lifted head singing
so proud to be alive.
Flinging magnetic greetings amid the toil of job,

here is a tall bold island set vivid against the
little soft cities.

You are my Waikiki remembered...

Truth be told, the old geezer apologizes to Carl Sandberg for mucking about with his poem 'Chicago'.  It works, you think??

1 comment:

  1. Ok your right Carl Sandberg not Frost.......you did a great job "bender of steel"to the jungles of ol Waikiki!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete