Tuesday, April 29, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RON


It seems like only yesterday that Ron celebrated a birthday.  Today is another year for the old man.  73 years and still mean as ever...

Without a doubt, Ron is one of the more colourful people known.  That is without the loud outfits he wears and the rather 'pink' hat gifted last year.  Ron is so colourful, he is a rainbow unto self.

Ron and the old geezer go way back.  Ron knew MOI when the old geezer was young and pretty.  He reminds me of that oft.  That is OK.  The best part of growing old is that you always have folks reminding you how it was.

What a year it has been for Ron.  He lost his teeth and his heart is not as young as it once was.  Ron has gained and lost a bit of weight.  Ron has had good moments and bad moments.  But we will not dwell on the bad moments.

There have been times that I have wanted to stuff his pussies down his throat.  Ron can be a bit sharp tongued.  There have been times when I wanted to walk away and never hear the name Ron again.  I keep coming back because I have learned that Ron is really a good person at heart.  He means well even if he has a strange way of showing his like of a friend.

Ron thrives on having folks think of him as mean.  It would be easy to buy into that thinking if I had not seen a different side of.  There are the times I have seen him give food and cash to homeless, without any idea of being repaid.  Then there is the massive Christmas party he throws every year.  Ron invites everyone, even the folks he has done battle with.  Without exception, there is some sort of gift for one and all.

Truth be told, there have been a few shouting matches between Ron and meself.  I too, can be sharp tongued and am sure am quite capable of being mean.  The funny part of 'friendship', is that however mean it gets from time to time you keep coming back to what drew you to that person in the first place.  Ron has been there for the old geezer in bad times.  I always remember that.

The "Ron" I remember is the fun and silly "Ron".  When I had the flower shoppe cross the road from his building, Ron would lean out over the railing and ask if there were any deep discounts on the 'old' flowers.  Ron loved to buy bunches of flowers to place round his flat, and he loved to buy the leis that were discounted and give to folks he met during the day.  A Lei is a Lei, even if it was on discount...

I remember the best fancy dress outfit bought was from Ron.  He talked me into getting made up as the 'devil'....  He must have been on to something as it was a massive hit and I had the best time ever.

I remember the countless suppers shared and the long drive round the island.  Got to know Hawaii pretty well thanks to his tours of the 'hidden' neighbourhoods.

Like I said, there is much more to Ron than meets the eye.

This past Easter I created Easter Baskets for folks cared about.  I did this because I remember Ron taking a great deal of care and effort to create Easter Baskets last year.  Ron had coloured eggs and bought treats for the basket that were sure to be a hit to the individuals receiving.  It made quite an impression.

It is convenient for Ron to believe that no one cares or remembers his birthday.  What a lot of tosh.  Am quite sure that Laura will remember his special day as will others.

Ron has made a lasting impression on the old geezer.  So much so, that he has been in me thoughts much of late.  I do hope he has a wonderful birthday.  I do so hope that he appreciates the effort it was for me to find 'adult underpants' in his size.  I mean really.  Do you know how hard it is to find them in size 58???????

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RON, may you be around for another 73 years.....

No comments:

Post a Comment