Thursday, July 15, 2010

LOCAL MERCHANT GETS SILLY HALL BRUSH OFF - 'TOO BUSY' THEY BE.


The chap in the snap is David Watson.  Mr. Watson is the owner of a new business that is trying to ready his shop and is located on "D" Street.  The shop is "Dave's Gunsmithing" and due to Dave's efforts, another empty store front on "High Street" has been fixed up and added to the businesses willing to draw more folks to a business district in much need of new blood.

The whole world knows that this coming Friday & Saturday will see the "Marysville Peach Festival" take place on "D" Street, thousands of locals will walk the road to get peach related items AND to peek into shops of businesses located on the road.

The Appeal Democrat, our local rag, wrote of the 'hugeness' of this event in the newspaper. 

This old geezer was walking the road on Wednesday.  I do daily.  Seeing that Mr. Watson's shop was open, it was as good a time as any to introduce self and welcome to the neighbourhood.

My cheery "and a gracious good morning" was met with a look of much stress.  Mr. Watson is working long hours to put finishing touches on shop and get all things in order for the big days ahead.  Like all local, Mr. Watson is very aware of the enormous business opportunity to be got from the thousands who will attend the festival.  Unfortunately, Silly Hall is not being very co-operative.

My dears, I did not 'rubber hose' or 'third degree grill' Mr. Watson into giving up all of the information that follows.  It was given in the hopes that someone, anyone, would know how his plights could be corrected.

I made it very clear to Mr. Watson that I was a community activist, who was running for public office.  I also told Mr. Watson that if he felt put upon by MOI, I could simply walk away.

Are you following this dear reader?  Shall I continue?

It would appear that Mr. Watson is clear to open his business, save for the permit from the local police department.  Mr. Watson has made multiple visits to Silly Hall, to the office of Shannon Jacobsen, who along with being 'events coordinator' is personage in charge of doing the paperwork for the needed permit.

Mr. Watson has gone in person to office, during the hours that Ms. Jacobsen is said to be in office for the purpose of doing the permit paper work.  Mr. Watson has even rung up Ms. Jacobsen multiple times.

Mr. Watson told me that his last effort to get the permit was met with a declaration from Ms. Jacobsen that she be too busy doing duties with the peach festival and would have to get back to him at another time.  Mind, she did go so far at to remind Mr. Watson that without the permit he seeks, he can not do business.

Using the telephone in shop and with permission of Mr. Watson, I rang up Ms. Jacobsen.

I told Ms. Jacobsen who I be and the nature of my call.  Never being rude and using "Silly Hall" correctness, Ms. Jacobsen told this old geezer that the matter of the permit was a private matter and she was not at liberty to talk about it.  I reminded Ms. Jacobsen that I was making the telephone call on behalf of Mr. Watson and that as a resident of Marysville was well within me rights to ask a 'public employee' questions with regard to treatment of another member of the community.

I asked Ms. Jacobsen if it were true that Mr. Watson was told by her that she was too busy doing festival business and his business would just have to wait.  I asked Ms. Jacobsen if she cared that Mr. Watson would be 'locked' out of the biggest party on "D" street.

I had wondered who Ms. Jacobsen worked for, what department that is.  It would seem that she be under the direction of the police department.

With "Silly Hall" correctness, Ms. Jacobsen directed MOI to contact the Chief of Police if not satisfied with her answers or problems with the permit for Dave's Gunsmithing.  Never being rude, Ms. Jacobsen made it quite clear to this old geezer, as am sure she did to poor Mr. Watson, that she was 'far too busy' to deal with the on-going business of Marysville.

Being the 'attention seeking busybody' (so some in Marysville believe), I rang up the Appeal Democart with a HOT news tip.  Even chatted with Mr. Vodden.

Just when you thought the story could not get better, it does...

Never once did this old geezer lie to Dave Watson about his willingness to tell interested parties of his plight.  Never once did Mr. Watson tell this old geezer to stop.

Dave Watson has put out much coin to ready his shop for business.  Silly Hall was more than willing to capture his permit cash AND to tack on the BID extra.  Dave is retired military, might explain his fear of rocking the boat at Silly Hall.  Dave had been warned about opening a business in Marysville, how unfriendly the folks at Silly Hall could be.

The latest actions of Ms. Jacobsen could push Mr. Watson to cut his losses and move out of the City of Marysville.  Got to Yuba City.  Dave told MOI that the added stress and being denied the right to do business during the festival, could see him take the loss and just get away from all of the unpleasantness.  His loss would be considerable, the loss to "High Street" would add to the already blighted look of shuttered shops.

With Mr. Watson's permission, I went to Silly Hall to see if I could chat with the Chief of Police.

As I was standing at window of 'police information', Chief Fullerton cam down hall and asked if I had been helped.

I told Chief Fullerton that it was he that I wished to speak to.  No sooner did I get the words 'dave's gunsmithing' out, that Chief Fullerton informed MOI that he had listened in on a conversation had between Ms. Jacobsen and Mr. Watson and heard Mr. Watson 'apologize profusedly' for my ringing up about his permit problem.  With a coldness matching the chill of cooled air in hall, Chief Fullerton cut off any questions and reminded MOI the he, the Chief of Police, did not have to answer questions.  Entering the office of Ms. Jacobsen, he closed the door.   Fancy that.

My dears, I would remind Chief Fullerton of the following 'Peel' principle;

"To seek and preserve public opinion........by ready offering of individual service and friendship to ALL members of the public without regard to wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humour....."

Unlike many in Marysville, I fear no denizen of Silly Hall.

I marched up hall to the office of City Clerk.

I asked how hard it would be to get to have a chat with the City Manager.  While Ms. Fangman was checking the City Manager's diary, who should show up but the Chief of Police.  Not wanting anyone to depend on rumour, I told Ms. Fangman that the nature of my chat with City Manager would be about the Chief of Police.  The City Manager is Chief Fullerton's boss.

After all of the drama at Silly Hall, I returned to Dave's Gunsmithing Shop.  I told Mr. Watson what I had been told by the Chief of Police.  Mr. Watson told MOI and others present that Chief Fullerton lied to me.  That no 'profusedly apologizing' telephone call had been placed by him to Ms. Jacobsen.

All things considered, the Appeal Democrat may see no value in this story.

Silly Hall is not business friendly and the Marysville Police Department leadership is not citizen friendly.  That is a  problem.

My dears, all of the above came about due to belief on part of this old geezer that one person can make a difference.  Knocking on doors, chatting with voters is what one has to do if one wants to get elected.  It is also what one does if one is concerned about one's neighbourhood.  Downtown is my neighbourhood.  Even if a run for public office does not pan out, I will still be a concerned citizen and good neighbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment