Monday, October 13, 2014

SUSAN BOYLE CONCERT REVIEW

Susan Boyle Concert Ticket
The whole point of the road trip on Saturday was to see Susan Boyle in concert.

Being the sort of person who arrives early, the old geezer had loads of time to stand on pavement in front of theatre and people watch.  Right curious I was as to who my fellow concert goers were.  I was no great shock to see that the overwhelming number of attendees were female and of a certain age.  What was a bit of a surprise was the lack of 'gay' men.  Being it was San Francisco, I had thought the 'gay' fan club would have been out in droves.

Alan and I had most excellent seats and the view of the stage and closeness guaranteed I would see everything.

Whilst we waited for the theatre to fill up, I took the opportunity to chat with some of the folks seated round.  There was an older lady and relative, right behind, who was old time San Francisco resident and she remembered as I did, when the Orpheum was a grand movie palace.  This lady warned me that I would more than like feel her tears on back, as she was quite sure she was going to cry loads at seeing Susan Boyle.  She had purchased a souvenir programme and was leafing through it as if it contained some hidden message for her.

There was another older lady sitting near who had journeyed  to San Francisco for this special event.  The lady was from UK and had brought her mum to see Susan Boyle.  That were to have seen Susan in San Jose but due to Susan having a sore throat, that performance was cancelled and they were offered ticket in San Francisco.  This was a big deal for the lady from UK, as it was a surprise for her mum's birthday.  They were over the moon at being there and even had Alan take snaps for them.

I was seated next to an older chap who appeared to be attending with his parents as well.  This chap provided some light moments during the concert and I will get to them later.

The curtain went up a little after 8.  It was to be 90 minutes with no break.

Susan Boyle appeared on staged bathed in light.  She was dressed in a white frock that had sequins and feathers.  Way too many feathers if you ask me but what do I know.  I did not think the frock worked, made he look huge in body and washed out her face.

The opening number was 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'.  A clever ploy to pander to the local crowd?  I had heard the number performed better and found myself wondering if the concert was going to be a let down.  There were two ABBA numbers and I was really feeling uneasy about the concert.

Then I remembered what this concert was all about.  SUSAN BOYLE.  The  older lady from UK who looked frumpy but sang like an angel.  The same frumpy lady who had WOWED Simon Cowell and got a standing ovation from the audience at the talent show.  The lady of the massive hits on YOUTUBE and massive sale of her albums.  I wanted to see in person and perhaps have a WOW moment of my own.

From where I sat, it did not appear as if Susan was enjoying herself.  She did not get too close to audience and her gestures seems very contrived and she just was not 'charged' at being on the stage.

You could sense that the audience was just waiting to go wild.  They wanted an excuse to stand and cheer.  It got close but not completely.

There was a break in the programme.  Surprise.  Alan almost had me believing that the concert was over.  More like they want to sell more programmes.  The bloody programmes were $35.00.  Mind, the older lady sitting behind, told true that it was a bit dear, BUT it was Susan Boyle.  She was going to get a lot of mileage showing off her programme in the days ahead.

The folks from the UK were enjoying the show but they too felt there had not been a WOW moment.  Leave it to another older woman to notice some of the same things I did.  They were shocked at how huge the white frock made Susan look.  Mind, they also commented on the makeup and the hair.  Women...

The first part of the concert had been flat.  I was wondering what the second half would bring.

Susan Boyle came out in the second act in a electric blue frock.  It was massive improvement.

The real shock was in her stage presence for the second act.  Not sue if they plugged her into an electric socket or shot her full of drugs but she was 'changed up' now.  She seemed more alive and comfy.

Susan sang numbers from her new album and even made more of an attempt to chat up the adoring audience.  She sang in that 'Susan Boyle' voice and it was warm and so familiar.

The chap who was sitting beside me was having a hard time controlling himself.  He clapped wildly and was right giddy at times.  You might say he was having a 'gay old time'.......

I had had too much fluid and found myself in great need to visit the loo.  I was afraid to go, did not want to miss the WOW moment.  Nature won out, I had to visit the loo or Susan was going to get me to pee me trousers.  As fast as possible I raced to the loo.  Why is it that the 'gents' is always located far, far away.  Imagine how it must have looked to see me, cane pounding me way through the lobby.

I manage to get back to see another number and asked if I had missed the WOW moment.  I had not.

Susan saved her WOW moment for the closing number.  The song best remembered for was sung.  This time with a youth choir.  I thought she had done it better in past.  The WOW moment was not there.  Not for me at any rate.  Mind, the ladies from the UK felt the same.

Having seen concerts with performers much liked before, I knew that it was possible to have a real magic moment.  Some folks get off on the exchange between audience and them.  Josh Groban springs to mind.

Was I let down?  Not at all.  Like I mentioned in the beginning, I got what I came for.  I saw Susan Boyle in the flesh.  Up close and in person.  I just did not get the magic.  Would I attend another Susan Boyle concert?  Never.  I discovered that I can enjoy Susan Boyle singing on the computer and in my mind's eye always see her as that lovely lady standing on the stage of the talent show knocking the socks off the folks.

2 comments:

  1. So you Susan are freinds now and she's teaching you how to sing,,{well} remember you and her are about the same age and from "UK"pitty now is'nt it.............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I was extremely disappointed in her stage presence last night in Jacksonville, FL, Fantastic voice but would not go again, would much rather listen at home. We didn't get a final song in Jacksonville as she left the stage after two lines of a song and never came back. I am assuming she had trouble with her throat as it seemed to be troubling her throughout the night. On a positive note she looked fantastic in the blue dress.

    ReplyDelete