Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Paul Andrew Auer - 1959 - 2010 - REMEMBERING

Paul Auer and Robert 2008


My dears, pray indulge this old geezer this day. Today's post is all about my flatmate, Paul Andrew Auer, and his death yesterday morning. Follows of me blog will be 'au fait' with Paul and my sharing his role in my life. I have shared with you how we met and shared many of our adventures these past few years. I am feeling a bit raw today, there are many emotions to deal with. Paul would have wanted me to do this.

Early Monday morning, Paul suffered a massive stroke. 911 was called and Paul was rushed to Rideout Hospital. I knew it did not look good and was not completely surprised when I received a call telling me that as Paul's listed contact, I needed to get to hospital quickly to talk with the doctors.

Avid readers of me blog know that this old geezer does not drive. I needed to get to hospital quickly and rang up a lovely lady known to me asking for help. She was due to leave town and could not but she placed a call to Marysville Police Department, where she works, and told folks there of my problem. Walking in the dark toward hospital I was stopped by a copper on patrol who told me to get into the patrol vehicle and he would get me there quickly.

This act of kindness set into motion so many of the other random acts of kindness to follow and I want to share all of them with you.

The doctor at hospital informed me that Paul was never going to recover from the massive stroke. Paul, as I knew him, was gone. As I was listed as his contact, he and the hospital wanted to know what Paul would have wanted.

I was not Paul's 'family', did not have a legal document, but that did not stop the staff of Rideout Hospital from allowing the person Paul most wanted to be with him, being there. You have to take note of that fact, as so many folks tell of hospital staffs not allowing them in due to their situation being unique to the person in hospital.

They honoured Paul's wishes. I was asked what Paul would want at this point, meaning that they would allow me to help them as I was there. Every person on staff I met Monday was so very kind to me. From the lovely doctor making Paul comfy, to nurses who cleaned him up and fetched me a cuppa from time to time. So many acts of random kindness it is impossible to remember them all.

Paul had registered with "Donate Life California Registry" in July of this year. Since Paul had arrived at hospital in bed clothes, the hospital would not have know that as he did not have his ID with. I made Rideout Hospital staff aware of this and set into motion their efforts to carry out Paul's wishes. Very early in morning, they contacted the donor organization and were told that team members would be there shortly.

The kind doctor in emergency told me that every effort was being made to make Paul comfy and that he would be placed in ICU shortly to better take care of him.

ICU staff was brilliant. So many acts of random kindness received there throughout the trying day. The staff allowed me to place calls to gather folks Paul cared about. It seemed as if each and every person was determined to make sure that Paul and I were well looked after.

One lovely nurse gave a button up that she was wearing. It had a 'smiling face' on it.

Hospitals are full of drama, there is much activity. Not once did any doctor or nurse make me feel I was in the way, while they went about performing their jobs. I was allowed to chat with Paul throughout the whole day, as were all of Paul's friends who came and went.

My dears, I am sort who believes that Paul was still there on some level. I wanted to make sure he knew who was there and how each of us felt about him.

The staff at Rideout Hospital made every effort to get a priest to come and give Paul "Last Rites" of the Roman Catholic Church. The priest could not have been more understanding and was a real comfort.

Random acts of kindness. Not people just 'doing their job', real caring people, members of the community Paul called home making sure he was well looked after. Trust me, I know the difference between just doing the job and caring.

There was no rush to 'pull the plug' on Paul. Every effort was made to see if a 'miracle' might happen, even though all knew it was not likely.

The team from the "Donate Life California Registry" was there throughout the day. The lovely lady who dealt with me could not have been more kind. She explained the whole process and never once made me feel rushed. "Take as much time to say good bye".

I feel totally gutted today, having lost Paul. Selfish of this old geezer.

I 'lost' Paul yesterday, or did I?

Paul has made his entire body available for donors. Whatever can be used to help others is for the taking.

The lovely lady from the donor organization told me that because of Paul's 'gift', calls were being made and people in real life/death situations would receive a call that would give them life. I am told that 'as I write', Paul's gift to others is happening.

I have been honoured to have Paul a part of my life and more honoured by his gift of life to so many others. While I hurt, I have to lock in on the fact that due to Paul's act of kindness, 'bits and bobs' of Paul will be walking about daily. In a very real way, Paul will still be among us.

You, who have followed me life will remember the passing of my long time companion John, dead these past 27 years. While my relationship with Paul was different, it was and is a very important one. Having known Paul these past years changed me in so many ways. I have been blessed for having shared my walk through life with Paul.  Paul was my side-kick.  He watched my back on many occasions when real danger was in the air.  It was Paul who did the filming as told the whole world about "Ladies of the Night', benefits cheats and druggies.

Paul Auer was 51 years old when he died.  Such a short life.  Paul called Marysville home. He would be 55 this year.

Marysville lost a resident. Marysville was honoured by the noble act of kindness Paul's gift of life. I like to think that a community is made the richer by its residents, Paul Auer just made Marysville much richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment