Friday, October 10, 2014

PRICELESS


As things stand, a tenner is not a large amount of cash.  That depends on how you look at it.

This morning I went for my usual walk and went to favourite place for coffee and a bagel.  I was standing in the front sipping my coffee when the door opened and in walked a lady.  She asked me if I had dropped a tenner.  I said no and she went to the cashier and told them that someone probably would be missing this tenner and would be back for.

I was gobsmacked.  I am like most and judged the lady to be 'poor'.  She was late 30's, badly dressed and pushing a baby carriage.  She looked like she could use the tenner.

I followed the lady into the isles and asked if I could talk to her.  She said I could.

I asked the lady why she had turned in the tenner found in the car park.  She told me that if she had lost a tenner it would ruin her whole day, so short of cash she was.  She knew that whoever lost the tenner would be sad.

I asked why she was in the market so early.  She told me that her 16 month old son was out of milk, juice and fruit. She was there to get the items.  I asked the lovely lady if she would allow me to get the items for her.  My way of saying she was a superior person in what she had done.

After collecting the items I followed the lady outside and continued our chat.  Turns out the lovely lady works two poorly paid jobs, has an abusive husband and feels much put upon.  Has to be a chore to raise a child by self.  I wished her well.

Right, so I was very judgmental about the lady.  Turns out I was spot on about her situation.  However hard her life, she still had a code she lives by and her conduct this morning says lots wonderful things about her.

I am right pleased that I took the time to hear another story of a person met.  I learned much.

1 comment:

  1. see what I told you about people, most people are somewhat good and honest, no matter what........

    ReplyDelete