Friday, October 31, 2014

HALLOWEEN THOUGHTS

Here it is the big day.  Wonder how many known to will venture forth in costume?

The weirdest Halloween ever was one in Honolulu ages ago.  Yes, dressing up in Hawaii is as real big deal.

Anyway, a friend owned a bar in Waikiki that catered to Marines and Sailors.  Decidedly a very butch bar.  I had got mates to dress me up a "The Devil", looked rather wicked I did.

The drinks were flowing and it was my job to empty the tip jar, in order that the one dollar bills stayed in circulation.  Folks were just throwing tips at the barkeeps.

Anyway, the pub was filled with all of these young military types, drinking like there was no tomorrow.  They had a DJ playing songs to keep the mood going.  Gobsmacked I was when, Village People's 'YMCA' blasted out across the bar.  More gobsmacked when I saw all of the butch military chaps form a 'conga' line and start to prance round the bar singing that song.  It was such a magic moment that they repeated the song to keep the spirits flowing.  I was a sight to behold.

Never had another Halloween like that night.  I remember one of the Marines told me that he was going to bed me and claim that The Devil made him do it.  Needless to say, I did not take up on his offer.  I was flattered.  Mind, it was ages ago and I was a pretty young thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment