Tuesday, August 26, 2014

ALCOHOL FREE BIRTHDAY FOR PAUL

Today is Paul's 72nd birthday.  As these things go, getting to 72 is not that unusual, unless you are a world class drunk and have spent the better part of 2014 inside a bottle.

Paul is my friend.  I like Paul. I do not like his behaviour.  I believe that if you are a good friend to someone, you need to speak up when their behaviour is harmful.

For the past two months, Paul has been recovering from his latest visit to hospital for alcoholism.  Truth be told, this was not first visit to hospital due to alcohol abuse.  Having heard all of the lies about not drinking ever again, I was more than inclined to believe that it would be a short time before the bottle was out and Paul was not able to cope anymore.  I will not lie.  I doubted that Paul was going to stop drinking.  I am not totally convinced that Paul will never drink again, but I am willing to promote his current good behaviour and egg him on to put more and more time between he and the bottle.

Presents have been bought and a nice supper at a lovely restaurant is planned for the big day.

With a little bit of luck, we will be celebrating another birthday next year, alcohol free...

No comments:

Post a Comment