Thursday, August 19, 2010

"If you change things in one way, you change things in other ways"


My dears, there are days that it is right difficult to pick the right story to tell. There is a pile near machine and it is from this that MOI picks the day's offering. Many is the day that the pile is ignored as something has come about that makes it far more important to tell.


MOI receives post, hardly a day goes by with that something of future value catches eye and begs to be used. Received this and thought it was a good time to tell of. Its value lies in pricking the outer shin of one and making one think back on things remembered and folks one has come to know.

It be a bit sappy for some, to be sure, but when did that stop MOI from telling anything?


One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid
 from my class was walking home from school. His name was
 Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books.
 I thought to myself, 'Why would anyone bring home all
 his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd.'
 I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game
 with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my
 shoulders and went on.

 As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.
They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and
 tripping him so he landed in the dirt.
 His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass
 about ten feet from him. He looked up and I saw this
 terrible sadness in his eyes. My heart went out to him.
So, I jogged over to him as he crawled around looking for
 his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.
 As I handed him his glasses, I said, 'Those guys are
 jerks.' They really should get lives.
 He looked at me and said, 'Hey thanks!'
 There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those
 smiles that showed real gratitude.
I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he
 lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him
 why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to
 private school before now. I would have never hung out with
 a private school kid before.
We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his
 books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.
 I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my
 friends.
 He said, 'Yes.'
We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle,
the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of
 him.
 Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack
 of books again.
I stopped him and said, 'Boy, you are gonna really
 build some serious muscles with this pile of books
 everyday!'
 He just laughed and handed me half the books.
 Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends.
 When we were seniors we began to think about college. Kyle
 decided on Georgetown and I was going to Duke. I knew that
 we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a
 problem.
 He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on
 a football scholarship.
 Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the
 time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for
 graduation. I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up
 there and speak.
 Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one
 of those guys that really found himself during high school.
 He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had
 more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.
 Boy, sometimes I was jealous! Today was one of those
 days. I could see that he was nervous about his speech.
 So, I smacked him on the back and said, 'Hey, big guy,
 you'll be great!'
 He looked at me with one of those looks (the really
 grateful one) and smiled.
 'Thanks,' he said.
 As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and
 began....
 'Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you
 make it through those tough years. Your parents, your
 teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your
 friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend
 to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going
 to tell you a story.'
 I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the
 first day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the
 weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so
 his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying
 his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little
 smile.
 'Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from
 doing the unspeakable..'
 I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome,
 popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his
 Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful
 smile. Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.
 Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one
 small gesture you can change a person's life. For
 better or for worse.


The story may well not be based in truth, but is sure makes one stop and remember a bit. Or is MOI the only person willing to fess up to being touched? To have doubts?

MOI has not always been willing to be so touchy, more's the pity, as there were many moments missed. There is never a missed opportunity of late, so many are the stories heard and filed away.

The chappie who sent MOI the above story will note that there be a change in the ending.............MOI is not so keen to use GOD as an example of why things sort self out. It is blatant, you think? Why bang on about what one knows deep down?

Last Tuesday, this old geezer tried to touch many lives.  Reached out to local citizens and got them to take part in a meeting of city council.  I took a risk and tried to make a difference, however small a difference.

Local newspaper reported now tells the whole world that I be a fraud, for folks to be wary of as I AM not be what I seem.  A force for destruction am called.

I am what I am, I know me rather well, and if the reporter wants to dig for dirt, be my guess.  Have had more famous reporters do that and a newspaper with more cash to fund the search.  My life is an open book, and am more than willing to tell one and all what they need to know.  I have no fear.

I have to wonder if the denizens of Silly Hall are behind the latest attack on my good name.

Government in Germany during the 30's was able to tell lies about folks they did not like, turn the citizenry against and do horrid things to.  I will not hide.  I will not run.  If need be am perfectly will to sit down and die for my right to be a part of the community.

"If you change things in one way, you change things in other ways" Quite right!

No comments:

Post a Comment