Friday, September 19, 2014

WATCHING THE TELLY


I am not keen on the telly, all of the adverts tend to annoy me, but I do watch a programme on occasion.

Recently, I watched for the umpteen time a film I am quite fond of, "Ladies in Lavender". It was on one of the channels that is advert free, and as my best mate would say, it is a "British film", hence, I adore. Not quite that bad but do tend to love British films.

I digress.

The film is about two old English ladies who find a young lad washed up onto the shore near their home. He can not speak English, and has a broken leg to boot. One of the ladies takes a keen like to the lad, has something to do with her searching for lost love. The lad mends and goes off to London to be discovered as a violinist, leaving the two old ladies heart broken. It is about music and love, love sought and love of life given. Were it just for the music it would be worth a watch, but it also has performances by Judi Dench and Maggie Smith that are well worth the time.

The film strikes a deep cord inside of me. Perhaps it has to do with the sharing of two ladies with a lost soul. I am an old bugger, there might be some who would think 67 is not that old.  It is.

Youth has flown and one clings to the past tighter than when one was young. You remember things in a different way, perhaps appreciate life more fully, less apt to be quick to judge or hasten one's path through it. Each time I have sat through this film it has brought back memories, good memories tinged with a measure of sadness. It may seem a bit of a stretch but in many ways that is life as lived at present, older showing hope to the younger. We each in our own way gain from the association, each is rejuvenated and renewed. That is the way of it.

Mind, I do not see myself as an old lady or for that matter the young lad, it is just that one can place one's self in their position and relate. No clue why I am banging on about this, may well add fuel to the feeling I am a right nutter. Since I have taken to writing my thoughts in so public a fashion, thought I would just share.

Have a brilliant day...

No comments:

Post a Comment