Thursday, September 25, 2014

SHINGLES IS NO JOKE

Robert with shingles
My first post about having Shingles was attempt to make light of it.  Big Mistake.

Mail has come in from folks who have had Shingles or know someone who had.  All remember the pain and the sores.  Vividly.

Since folks want me to tell all, will try to let you know what I am experiencing.

I got lucky.  I knew something horrid was going on and took myself to hospital.  The doctor knew in a tick what I had, but he wanted to rule out anything else.  I had tests.

All of the tests confirmed that I had Shingles.  Lucky for me, I got to hospital within 72 hours of the outbreak and it seems medicines used to treat work best if that time frame is met.

First order of business was to give me a strong shot of pain medicine.  You will never know how bad it can be until you have Shingles.  Am told it can be worse and last a long period at worst.

The first medicine prescribed was FAMVIR, an antiviral medicine.  3 500mg tablets a day.

This is day two on this med and I can already feel some of the side effects.  Headache, nausea and loose bowels seem to be happening.  I also seem to have to pee a great deal.

The second medicine is PREDNISONE, a corticosteriod medicine. 2 20mg tablet a day.

Day two on this med and bad heartburn, nausea and loss of appetite.

There is some doubt as to the effectiveness of taking this with the antiviral medicine.

The third medicine is OXYCODONE, a pain medication. 1 5mg tablet every four hours for pain.

Works well for the bad pain but do not like feeling in a fog.  Can also cause one to get constipated.

The three medicines work a number on you.  Lucky for me I can spend time in bed and ride out the worst.  Granted, the pain is not nice but dealing with all of the side effects takes a toll as well.  You just feet like crap.

I have enough medicine for 7 days, that seems to be the normal period.  I have yet to have the rash break open and crust over.  The rash does not seem to be getting massive.  I think the pain and not wanting things to rub my skin is worst part so far.  If this treatment is working, I should see much improvement in a few day.  Improvement being that it does not get more severe and does not leave me with painful nerve damage.

I will never forget the hot,burning pain.  NEVER.

I have read that it is possible that I will have but this one episode.  I still do not know if getting the shingle shot is for me, but that can not happen until some time has past from this attack.

My friend in Hawaii ignored his shingle until it became quite severe.  His rash was massive and he suffered a great deal.  And the rash left scares.

It is not fun but I think I am keeping myself from dwelling on it too much.  Hard to ignore the burning and the itching.  And the worst is yet to come with the bumps breaking open.  YUCK.

I am trying not to take too much pain medicine during the day.  I really do not like how that makes me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment