Friday, June 17, 2011

REMEMBERING JOHN

John Arthur and Robert - 1987
Today would have been the 65th birthday of John, my life's companion, who has been dead these past 24 years.  What a celebration it might have been.

I have long since stopped dragging a coffin round and have not placed John so high in memory that he is a saint.  My memories of John, and our life together are as fresh and real as they were so many years ago.  I can still hear the laugh and were I to see the back of on a crowded road would know John anywhere.  I still carry a snap of John in me wallet.

In no small way was John responsible for this old geezer turning out so well.  He's example was a lead worth following, and I still try to honour his memory by living a good life.

I rather think John would be pleased that the old geezer did not give up.  That life is still being lived.  Why not?  To one who had so much blessings given to, much is expected in return.


I had the great good fortune to be with John as he died.  Had there been this blog back then, I rather think this filmed bit would have been used.  Some, not many, knew how deep the bond was between John and the old geezer.  Others were able to tell of how John thought of me, in so many ways one never knew. John was and still is my hero.

I take comfort in knowing that when my time comes to lie down in the tall grass, I will have the company of one so loved to shared my endless time with.

Happy Birthday...

No comments:

Post a Comment