Wednesday, October 20, 2010

That's What Friends Are For

"Always, Sir, set a high value on spontaneous kindness. He whose inclination prompts him to cultivate your friendship of his own accord, will love you more than one whom you have been at pains to attach to you"SamuelJohnson

It is that tragic time that defines the closeness of your attachment to others. Never easy to put one's self out in a dark hour. Events of the past few days have been dark indeed, more dark were they lived without the light, many lights, provided by folks known to.

Paul and I were not the sort to have massive number of folks in life. The telephone did not ring constant, there were no large number of folks coming and going at home.

Monday proved, if it needed proving, that the friendships made local were indeed 'golden'.

Dear Lucy, lovely lady who had so much on plate and she took the time to do all possible to help in the early morning hours. Were it not for her, I may not have got to hospital in time. Paul loved Luch, any time spent in her company was pure pleasure.

Captain Mike Wilson (I used the moniker "Captain America" for this chap), always had time to share and was most hurt that Paul was no longer going to be among us.

James. Loads on his plate, what with 4 children and a demanding job. Made sure that he got ride to hospital and spent time with this old geezer. I have no doubt that Paul knew that James sat in his room and chatted with him while I took a break. I will always remember seeing James sitting there in a chair, quietly keeping Paul company during his journey to another place. James is always in need of something to do, like being on a game on computer, and to see him through the window of window just spending 'quality time' with Paul was a moment not soon forgot.

The ever lovely Denise. God Bless her. Denise does not do 'hospital' well. She put aside her unease and came to see Paul almost as quickly as she heard. In good times, Denise is a real life force, she is the sort of lady that 'burst' into a room. Monday, Denise was still a 'life force', just went with the flow of the emotions in the room and events of the day. Like many, Denise has a business that she left most of the day to be with Paul. Paul liked Denise, he found her always full of comments and a quick laugh. Mind, Paul had a hard time breathing in her pet grooming shop, but the pleasure of her company was worth the risk of allergies flairing up. Good times were had by the three of us, and Paul always made a point of checking to see if her shop was open or OK when he went walking through the Downtown area.

Sheriff Steve Durfor. I have to tell you a funny 'copper' story, that comes from Paul. Most know that I can be a bit much in my crusades and am not well received by some coppers. There were a few times I beat up on Sheriff Durfor. Paul had got to meet Sheriff Durfor at one of the parties held in Linda to campaign for safer neighbourhoods. Out of the blue, one day Paul said to me; "I wonder what people would say if they knew Sheriff Durfor was a 'copper' who did not feel you were of no value. OR, and this is the funny bit, 'that you have Sheriff Durfor calling bad people 'evil creatures' to quote you". Fancy that.

Brenda and her lovely companion, Cheryl. Where do I begin? They were my rock on Monday and Tuesday. Brenda is a local business owner as well as being a parent of small children. Talk about busy. Brenda was angry that I had not called 'soonest' and could not get to hospital fast enough. Paul was already in ICU when she arrived. "Hi Paul, It's Brenda & Cheryl", "We just want to let you know we are here with you and looking after Rob and helping make today go well". Brenda is a 'take charge' sorl of lady and I was very thankful for that. Brenda made many of the telephone calls I could not make due to my emotions. At the drop of a hat, my waterworks flowed on Monday & Tuesday. She made sure I took a break and had something to eat and even went with me and had a ciggie with.

Monday was a very long day, filled with emotion and drama. Not once did Brenda or Cheryl complain about spending so much time with Paul or me. Truth be told, there is much they could have been doing, business goes on and so does personal life. Brenda would keep me constant company during the day, having her lovely companion run off and check on things.

Many was the time that we told "Paul" stories, in room with Paul listening. She had to fess up and tell me that Paul would come by her shop and get a ciggie daily, Paul was allowed to smoke, and make Brenda promise to keep his secret. It was an 'open' secret, I think all knew that I was aware of it. That was Paul, was right hard to break a habit that goes back 35 years.

I had promised Paul that I would be with him until the end. Brenda supported me in the. Due to her rock-like support, it was easy to keep watch until the doctors told that 'it was over'.

Early evening, Paul was 'legally' dead. Brenda, Cheryl, Denise and I formed a circle round Paul and said our last words with. Leaving me alone in the room, I had one last bit of time with Paul. I told him that the team from the donor organization was going to take over, they would be with him from that point on and make his 'gift of life' available to others. All that could have been said was. It was time to go.

My dears, I know that many email have come in about Paul. I read them all. I love all of you who have sent love to me. All of the telephone calls caused me telephone to die at one point on Tuesday. I so appreciate all of the support and love sent Paul's way. Pray know that I will get back to one and all.

"When true friends meed in adverse hour; 'Tis like a sunbeam through a shower"SirWalterScott

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rob. Denise and Brenda kept us all on d street posted on Paul and you, and I would like to send out my love to you and say I am sorry for your loss. He was an amazing man and I will miss seeing him out and about on my street. Rest assured that both your friendships and kindness will never be forgotten. I feel blessed to have met both of you. With much love, Ruth Soto the colorful girl on D street. Apples- Personally Yours

    ReplyDelete