Friday, October 15, 2010

Amazing Grace

The hallmark of any community is its ability to care for the less fortunate members of that community.

There is no doubt that the Salvation Army does good and in feeding some 'homeless' in Marysville it draws honour to this community. The question I have about this act of 'charity' is how it changes the real need faced by so many local.

I have no doubt that there be many who will shake heads and cluck tongues at my 'railing' about this event. If the dear reader will allow me to write further, it will be seen that this is not a rant but more of a reaching out to community for answers to the problem of 'homelessness' in Marysville and Yuba County.

When lived in Fresno, I saw with own eyes the horrid conditions of a "Hooverville" allowed to spring up in the Downtown area of that city. New to Marysville in 2009, I visited the homeless camp in the riverbed. Attention had been drawn to it due to a family with 5 girls, living in a trailer there. Trips to Silly Hall to speak out about the problem and articles in the local rag brought attention to the plight of the family and the horrid conditions of the illegal camp.

Marysville city staff found a way to move the homeless from city owned property but that did little to abate the problem.

A brave and caring police captain of the Marysville Police Department made multiple visits to the homeless camp and lead others in a campaign to remove rubbish from the area.

Time has passed and one wonders if much has changed for the homeless.

The homeless many have moved off Marysville owned land, but they are still in the riverbed. Conditons in the riverbed are more horrid than ever and the numbers of homeless have grown.

It is easy to lock in on the 'homeless' of the riverbed, or the 'homeless' who show up for a free meal at the Salavation Army. Too easy. One tends to forget about the many other 'homeless' folks in Marysville and Yuba County.

What about the single father of a little boy who 'sofa surfs' his mother's couch due to not having a place to live? How about adult children who have moved back in with parents due to loss of income? Seniors who have doubled up due to not being able to make small benefits checks cover rent?

What do we call older folks who have lost jobs and can not find another due to their age. What label do we place on these poor souls? Honourable folks who worked hard whole of lives and now are faced with losing all with no place to turn. Who helps them pay the mortgage?

I did not come to my compassion for my fellow man easy. Early in life, I was told that "I came from nothing, was nothing, and would be nothing". Leave it to the 'good' nuns to remind one of humble start. Life in an orphanage is no picnic. The abuse suffered, sexual, physical and mental, left scars that last a lifetime.

Something deep inside made me cling to the belief that America was really a place where one could be all one wanted to be, if one strived to be that. Something deep inside allowed me to cling to my faith and cast off the hatred felt toward abuse nuns and priests and believe that my 'heavenly father' would seen me right.

Regardless of how some judge my sexual proclivity or my activism, I have allowed my eyes to remain open to the world round me. I see much pain in the community lived in and wonder why others do not see it as well.

I have no desire to help 'benefits cheats' or lazy layabouts who know how to cage every single 'free meal' or handout offered. I worry about the folks who are afraid to come forward due to pride or fear of the stigma of the label 'homeless' or 'needy'.

"I was blind but now I see" I have no doubt that each and every one of us 'know' someone who is in real need of help during these mean times. Not strangers but friends and neighbours. Folks we chat with, visit and love and care about. Perhaps it is a single mum of two children, who has a job but can barely make ends meet and receives no help from former husband. Maybe it is an OAP, who receives a retirement that hardly covers the daily bills much less the medicines required to make health better. It might be a mate who lost job and has not been able to find another and might never due to being over 55.

This year I am going to keep my 'charity' personal. I will give nothing to Salavation Army or food banks or any other outlet that helps the 'homeless'. I know too many folks personally who could use a little help and that makes the giving more special. Truth be told, have no doubts that many reading this post know folks who could use a little help as well.

What a grand place Marysville & Yuba County would be if each and everyone of us made giving 'personal'...

No comments:

Post a Comment