Tuesday, February 23, 2010

FRUCTUOUS COPPERS OF YUBA COUNTY


LORD, WHY AM I A COPPER?

The dispatcher sounds weary
as she sends a call my way,
sounds like another fatal-
Lord, help me make it through another day

Some drunk has wrecked his motor
"Just had one pint", he lies.
and I try to maintain control
as his missus and the wee ones cry.

People say I am cold hearted
as the tears never flow.
Lord, can not they understand-
I can not allow me motions to show.

Lord, if they only knew
of the bad dreams and sleepless nights,
filled with thoughts of troubled souls
and the crying wee ones at domestic battles.

There are times I just want to chuck it
as mangled bodies fill me day
Lord, why am I a copper?
As it surely can not be for the pay packet.

Another call, a house on fire-
cries of grief, folks milling about.
With great relief I find
neighbours have got folks out.

As I watch helplessly,
so knackered, I can hardly stand-
I feel a touch at me side,
a tug at me right hand.

A wee lad of six or so,
his eyes big and blue.
"Oi", he says, "When I grow up,
I want to be a copper, just like you."

Lord, now I know why I am a copper."

My dears, how oft have you given thought to the coppers who 'serve and protect'?

Through me journey down the path of life, have met many a brilliant copper.  Take the time I do to mark all met.  Have been raised to feel that the coppers are me friends.  There to keep order and help make the community lived in a better place.  Never feared them.

Local, have had the great good fortune to meet some rather legend coppers.  First would be Captain Mike Wilson of the Marysville Police Department.  Such a lovely chap.  Took me to riverbed to see up close and in person, the plight of the folks living there.  Took the time to fill me in on the problems faced with crime and drugs in the community.  So grand a copper that title makes him supervisor, not stopping him from giving chase on foot when a wicked fellow tried to rob a local store.  So brilliant that he spent many an hour of personal time righting many wrongs in the riverbed, even hauling rubbish away.

Then there be Lucy Merrill, lovely lady with Marysville department who tries to get folks sorted out about the tickets got for running the cameras.  What tales she must listen to.  Lucy saw the value of this old geezer eary on and supported in efforts to begin fight to help right the community.

Officer Neil Houston, a copper who has been bloody brilliant in showing support for efforts to right the Linda Villa and community round.  Taking active interest in neighbours, Neil does more than 'patrol', he takes the lead and tries to help many of the folks he meets.  Were it not for his support, Christmas past would have been less brilliant for many.  Mind, Neil likes to remind that he be just the 'front copper', there be so many other brilliant coppers in the shadows not met.

Lastly, there be the great man, Sheriff Steve Durfor, who promised at the Ice Cream Social that he would provide all of the support to chase the wicked ones away.  Brilliance from the top flows down to light up all of the coppers under his command.  What did Linda do to deserve such a chap?

I am unabashed in support of the coppers.  If any find that too gooey for personal tastes, bugger off.  That be just the way of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment