Friday, March 29, 2013

I AM NOT DEAD YET

Robert enjoys birthday dinner
Right, the College of Cardinals did not see fit to elect me the new pope.  I rather thought I would have looked quite grand in red loafers...

The election of Pope Francis was not the only highlight of March.  March is also the birth month of the old geezer.

The year of my birth, March 28th was also Easter.  That could explain much about my life.  I have done a lot of hops during my time on earth.

My special day was very special.  It started with MOI being taken to breakfast by a lovely friend.  We went to Denny's.  Why Denny's?  Because they still give you a FREE breakfast on your birthday and the old geezer did not want his friend to go broke doing breakfast.  Mind, that did not stop MOI from ordering a massive glass of orange juice, which was not included in the FREE breakfast.  It is always a pleasure to share a meal with my good friend James.

The post had delivered a very nice card from dear friends living in Reno, along with a bit of cash.  Always lovely to get cash.  Alan and Paul are ever so nice to the old geezer and it is comforting to know that the long distance has not dampened our friendship.

Friends from round the globe went messages to email and there were lovely comments left on my Facebook page.

During the day of my birthday, Ron, who I share digs with in Honolulu and is a long time friend, had placed a brightly coloured package out for me to find and open.  Was gobsmacked to receive a rather nice personal DVD machine to play films on.  Due to hearing loss, is nice to be able to play the sound at a very high level without bothering anyone else.

Since the old geezer does not eat cake anymore, Ron thought cupcakes would work well.  Gave me the opportunity to share my birthday cake with one and all.  Ron is ever so clever, he thought that since my birthday had fallen on Easter, the yearn born, cupcakes with Easter themed frosting would be quite nice.  The were ever so colourful and all who got them thought they were very tasty.

I also got a bottle of gin.  Boodles, very British...

The day ended with a new found friend taking the old geezer to dinner at the Waikiki Beach Hotel.  There is a restaurant there that feature a three story aquarium, with a mermaid and loads of very colourful fish.

The main draw at the restaurant, besides the massive fish tank, is a buffet.  Regular Babette's Feast it is.  There is quite the selection of food.  Crab legs, three different kind, seem to be the bit hit.  There is also Prime Rib, chicken, pork, pasta, endless salads, fruits, and impressive selection of deserts.

MOI was quite careful in eating, as you can see from the plate in the photo.  Mind, the old geezer did taste quite a few items, but really hit the salads and fruits.  OK, so I might have had a little Prime Rib and past, but it was my birthday.

The host of the dinner party treated to the massive drink you see.  Have to see it when first placed before, when the dry ice is causing it to look like a volcano.  Lovely.  Also had a massive dink in a tumbler called a Tropical Itch.  Comes with a back scratcher...

Needless to say, the old geezer was full of good cheer at the end of the day...

What yesterday made me realize is that life is never over or dull.  There is so much to enjoy.  To be thankful for.

To one and all who made my special day so very special,  my most heartfelt thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment